What does it take to get started in building my custom home?
You must first decide what style home you wish to build. Try looking through books, magazines and the internet to find the home style you prefer. You next need to find the architecture that is right for you. At Peckham, we can recommend high quality architects or you can research the architect of your choosing. During the design process, you need to begin to look for available lots. We have lots available for you to choose or we can use our real estate partners to help you locate the lot of your choice. Once the lot is secured, your architect can work to both size your home and position it strategically on your lot. Once your plans are in the final stages, Peckham can review your plans and make recommended changes to improve them. Peckham will then secure bids and provide you with an estimate that will meet your banks’ appraisal expectations. Your final step is securing financial arrangements to pay for your new home.
How can I find an available lot that is right for me and my family?
Peckham Custom Builders has lots for our custom home buyers. Stop by or call to ask about the location of these lots. We also have partners in the real estate market ready to work with you to find your dream lot.
How can I find financing?
Peckham can recommend lenders with whom we have previously worked and for which we have received positive reviews from our customers. It is generally preferable to work with a lender that specializes in construction/home financing loans. Peckham has no financial interest in any lending institution.
What is a custom home?
Unlimited choices! You choose the design, size, style and room configuration of your new home. You choose the exterior elevations, materials, colors, roofing and windows. You choose the paint, flooring, cabinets, lighting and bathroom fixtures. You choose ceilings, walls, fireplaces, high technology “smart home” features and any other custom choice. You choose the landscaping, landscape lighting and pool design. Peckham also brings a wealth of experience and innovative ideas to your design process. Together, we can make your dream home a reality.
What makes a custom home by Peckham different?
At Peckham, we build a small number of highly valued homes annually. Mike is on-site virtually everyday and this singular focus on your home and the accompanying attention to detail will ensure that you home is built with the highest quality standards. This same attention to detail results in build times considerably shorter than most builders. We also realize that this home is YOUR home. We listen to you and work diligently to make certain that your wishes are accommodated and that your home reflects your desires and your personality. Mike has been building homes for over a quarter century. He is noted for his innovative, elegant designs and will bring this creativity to your design process. Simply put, Mike focuses his undivided attention on YOUR home.
How many years has Peckham built homes?
Mike began his career as a teenager working with his father in the construction business. He then served as an apprentice for some of the top builders in North Dallas. Mike has built hundreds of homes in North Dallas over his 30 year career. You will not find a more experienced, honest, easy to work with builder in all of Texas and his designs and quality are second to none.
How long does it take to build a home?
At Peckham, we pride ourselves on the speed with which we build your custom home. While each home is different and the speed of construction is often due to factors beyond our control, the following lists our “rules of thumb”;
4,000 – 6,000 sq. ft. – 5 months
6,000 – 8,000 sq. ft. – 7 months
8,000- – 10,000 sq. ft. – 11 months
Over 10,000 sq. ft. – one year or more
Can I bring in my own plans?
We can work with any architect. We can even work with purchased plans. We will review each plan and make suggested changes which we will discuss with you. Many times our change requests will result in better design ideas and/or changes which will both improve and lower your cost of construction.
In what areas does Peckham build new homes?
We concentrate our efforts in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex. We have even built beautiful second homes on various lakes outside of the Metroplex.
Can I choose the subcontractor or supplier I prefer to work on my home?
We maintain a list of highly qualified and bonded sub-contractors. These are sub-contractors with which we have worked and with whom we trust to complete their responsibilities in the highest quality fashion. However, if you have sub-contractors you prefer we would be happy to interview them on your behalf and then make a joint decision on their use.
Will Peckham install home buyer supplied materials?
If you have a reputable source for raw materials, Peckham will work with that supplier in constructing your new home. Peckham will also make supplier recommendations so that you can compare the price and quality of the potential suppliers.
What can I do to make the custom building experience go smoothly?
We believe the most important step in this process is finding the right builder. At Peckham, we pride ourselves on our honesty, integrity and our ability to listen. EVERYONE of our customers is a happy customer and all are referencable. Our relationship with you does not end when the moving vans have pulled away from your new home. If there are any issues or problems with your new home, we will make certain they are quickly corrected. Other important factors include:
- Pick your style home. Review books, magazines and search the internet for they type and style home you prefer.
- Establish your budget early. This will prevent you from developing plans that go beyond your budget. Ensure your budget places you within the price range of the community in which you are building/buying.
- Get Peckham involved as early in the design process as possible. We will provide an in-depth review of your plans and develop a list of recommended chances. Often these changes improve the design of the home while at the same time reducing construction costs.
- At Peckham, Mike is on site virtually every day. This is critical for quality control and to ensure your home is constructed in the fastest possible time. Unplanned delays due to faulty materials, misreading of the plans or poor subcontractor work can all lead to sleepless nights.
- Spend as much time as your schedule permits on-site with Mike. This will ensure there are no surprises and that all relevant parties are on the same page.
- At your request, we will make our interior decorator available to you. We can help you with the design of your ceilings, walls, floors, amenities, color combinations, appliances and other important materials. Building your new home is actually an almost endless series of choices and we try to make those choices as easy and simple as possible.
- Manage your budget aggressively. Work with a bank that specializes in both construction and home financing loans. Peckham will apprise you of where you stand against your budget and will work with you to keep your home cost on track.
- Pick the right builder. Seek a builder with a combination of the right experience, temperament, honesty, integrity and with a history of highly satisfied clients. We believe that Mike Peckham meets and exceeds these qualifications.
Can I design my own home?
The home design experience can be one of your most rewarding and exciting. We work with award winning architects to make your dream home become a reality.
What are the key steps I will take to build my dream home?
At Peckham, we try and make this process as simple and easy as possible. Using our experts, we can become your one stop solution.
- We will meet with you to develop a conceptual design of your new home. This would include the style, size, shape and characteristics of your home. We would also begin to frame the lot and location requirements.
- You would meet with our architect to begin the detailed work in designing your new home. You would also work with our real estate group, if necessary, to begin to look for available lots on which to build.
- Once the blue prints are nearly complete, you will work with our builder to review the plans and make necessary adjustments. We are frequently able to bring new ideas and suggested changes to both enhance your plan and make the plans more “buildable.” In addition, you may work with our interior designer to identify each room’s walls, ceilings, flooring and other amenities. You will also define your appliances, sinks, counter tops, paint colors, tubs, showers, fireplaces and the like. Once the plans are complete, we will complete detailed spec sheets with estimates of the total build cost.
- If requested, we will provide you with financing options for both the construction and the home financing loan.
- Once you have selected your financing option and the construction loan closes, ground breaking can occur.
- You will meet with Mike on site throughout the construction process. This will enable you to make prompt decisions that affect the construction schedule. This will also ensure that quality standards and time schedules are met.
Can you describe Peckham’s warranty?
Peckham offers a one-year warranty from the date of occupancy. Within one month after you move in to your dream home, you will make a punchlist of items that need to be corrected. Peckham will ensure that all items on your punchlist are corrected as quickly as possible. The mechanical items such as heating and cooling are warranted through the supplier and we will assign those warranties to the home owner. The foundation has a limited warranty of 10 years.